Based on the observations of EC and UNDP services at HQ and field level, it was decided, in 2007, to strengthen the partnership through the establishment of the Joint Task Force (JTF) as an informal mechanism. The JTF is formed by EC and UNDP staff dealing with electoral assistance at HQ levels in Brussels.
The overall purpose of the JTF is to strengthen and facilitate the EC-UNDP partnership in the electoral assistance field. It aims to improve the overall efficiency and adherence of the projects to the common EC-UNDP strategic approach. The success or failure of electoral assistance projects where the EC contributes to the UNDP managed basket fund has an impact on the global partnership between the two organisations. It is therefore important to ensure that mutual expectations are met and that each project is effectively designed, implemented and adequately monitored.
The focus of the JTF is to provide identification, formulation and implementation support for joint EC-UNDP projects on electoral assistance whenever needed and requested by EU delegations and/or UNDP country offices. The lessons learned are consolidated and codified so that they can effectively feed into the implementation of new electoral assistance projects, the various joint EC-UNDP workshops, conferences and online courses.
The specific tasks of the Joint Task Force include:
- Operational guidance is given to UNDP Country Offices through missions and from headquarters;
- The JTF assists in the formulation of projects-drafting project formulation documents, ensuring contractual compliance with the EC and UNDP agreements;
- Provides support in the project implementation-including assistance where required on management relationships, reporting issues and troubleshooting;
- It facilitates the mobilization of EC contributions to UNDP electoral assistance projects;
- Ensures a better and timelier formulation, implementation and monitoring of EC-UNDP electoral assistance projects;
- Disseminate and implement the EC-UNDP Operational Guidelines;
- Develop the content and contribute to carry out the required HQ and regional sessions of the joint EC-UNDP Training on Effective Electoral Assistance;
- Liaise with the NEEDS project for the preparation and delivery of effective electoral assistance sessions within the training of Core Team and Long/Short Term observers of EU Election Observation Missions;
- Develop operational tools to support staff (templates);
- Liaise with UND/BDP, Regional Centres and SURFs and relevant EC services for the development of information and dissemination of products on electoral assistance (leaflets, publications);
- Increase the amount of Joint Activities that could include the launch of reports, provisions of joint press releases, joint meetings with partners and specialized think-thank;
- Collaborate on initiatives and networks for the development of knowledge products and services for the support of electoral processes, such as the electoral knowledge network within the ACE project;
- Undertake studies and publications on issues of mutual interest, such as those on the synergies between civil and voter registration; on the increased use of ICTs in electoral processes, on the issues of conflict and security and elections; on disadvantaged groups and elections or on the support to regional and local elections.