EC-UNDP-IDEA Thematic Workshop on Elections, Violence and Conflict Prevention
At least 1,500 killed, one million fled since disputed election in Ivory Coast and 1,300 people died in Kenya after 2007 elections. What are the causes of electoral-related violence? Are there common 'triggers' to electoral violence beyond the individual circumstances of each country experiencing it?
Those were the themes of the 2nd edition of the workshop on Elections, Violence and Conflict Prevention that gathered top international experts in the field of electoral assistance from more than 30 countries from the UN, the EU and partner country Electoral Management Bodies.
Although a key indicator of democratic governance, elections alone are not sufficient to fully embed a democratic governance structure in any country. Recent experiences in countries such as Ivory Coast, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Kenya have shown that the non-acceptance of the electoral results can be both the direct cause of electoral-related violence, or the spark that brings forth violence that is caused by more underlying factors. Can international partners and national authorities play an effective role in designing pre-emptive solutions?
The need to understand the links between elections, violence and conflict prevention necessarily mandates electoral practitioners to look beyond the mere technicalities of electoral administration. Participants in the workshop will thus address the latest developments in the area and analyse what can be done to better understand, and ultimately prevent, electoral violence.
The workshop on Election, Violence and Conflict Prevention is jointly organised by the European Commission and the United Nations Development Programme with the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA) and the Ajuntament de Barcelona and will be hosted at the Montjuïc Castle, base of the Barcelona International Peace and Resource Centre (BICPR).
Download the presentations here:
Opening: Introduction to Electoral Assistance and Electoral Violence
- UNDP Electoral Assistance Strategic Framework - Niall McCann, EC-UNDP JTF Electoral Operations Consultant, UNDP Brussels
- EU Framework for Electoral Support - Teresa Polara, DEVCO, European Commission
- Electoral Cycle Overview
- Conflict Analysis and Electoral Violence - Corrado Scognamillo, Fragility and Crisis Management Unit - EuropeAid - European Commission; Emmanuelle Bernard, Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding Advisor, Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery, UNDP
- Elections and Conflict Project - Sead Alihodzic, IDEA Programme Officer - Electoral Processes
- IFES Elections and Violence Programming - Staffan Darnolf, IFES Senior Advisor and Country Director Zimbabwe
- Conflict Management Panels (CMP), Vincent Tohbi, Resident-Director EISA/DRC
Electoral Violence throughout the Electoral Cycle – Pre electoral Period
- ANALYSIS: The Patterns of Violence in the Pre-Electoral Period (between 3 months and 18 months before elections, phase 1 to 4 of the electoral cycle), Richard Atwood, Research Director at the International Crisis Group
- PLANNING: Triggers/Inhibitors – Constitutional Framework, Electoral Systems, Political Party Systems, EMBs, and Voter Registration Procedures , Jeff Fischer, Senior Advisor for the Electoral Education and Integrity Program at Creative Associates International
- PROGRAMMING: Prevention Activities: State and Non-State Stakeholders and the International Community , Jeff Fischer, Senior Advisor for the Electoral Education and Integrity Program at Creative Associates International
Electoral Violence throughout the Electoral Cycle – Pre electoral Period and E-day
- ANALYSIS AND PLANNING: Violence in the campaign and on election day, Richard Atwood, Research Director at the International Crisis Group
- Election Day Phase – Electoral Conflict Triggers and Inhibitors, Jeff Fischer, Senior Advisor for the Electoral Education and Integrity Program at Creative Associates International
- Election Day Phase - Programming for Electoral Conflict Prevention, Jeff Fischer, Senior Advisor for the Electoral Education and Integrity Program at Creative Associates International
- Rigging Elections – A Framework for Analysis and Prevention, Jeff Fischer, Senior Advisor for the Electoral Education and Integrity Program at Creative Associates International
- International Observation, Mark Gallagher, Democratisation and Elections Division - European External Action Service
- Electoral Observation and Conflict Prevention - Domenico Tuccinardi, NEEDS Project Director
Electoral Violence throughout the Electoral Cycle – Post Election period